Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Today's thought

“A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.”

—Forest E. Witcraft (1894-1967)


This is one of my favorites...keeping prespective is hard in a materialistic fast paced world. Wish the Joneses were driven to change lives and circumstances...then keeping up with them would be alot more worthwhile.

I have really tried to be grounded in all of this money and pomp.I have tried to not go overboard on material things...so I could go overboard on time with my kids in their classrooms and lizard hunts...a few years back I took on a job, with the goal of that being to help Sean with mission costs. I did not intend to work...but as circumstances unfolded...I was put into a postiion that working was no longer an option, Rich's pay was cut by about what I was making, and so the mission was still a financial challenge and I was away from my kids. What a valuable lesson it has been for me. I find guilt pulls you towards material substitutions. I find it harder to balance time and so I want to provide things. My children seem to be ok...not overly spoiled or induldged, but I see how I could get caught up in the houses and cars and bank accounts...and I can see how children could be lost in the hurried race to be successful.

I was taught what was important by my parents...I am grateful for that anchor in my life. It helps me when making decisions, and evaluating priorities.

That Lexus SUV I see passing my peeling decade old sedan...not such a big deal when I remember I am still teaching. I have fought my way back into my home with my job...and I can be with the kids when they get home still, and do that most important work, listening and laughing with them. I am sure it is compromised by the job, but I think it is the best I can do for the time being...

No comments: